1/27/2014
Elder Hein at Big Ben next to an iconic London phone booth
Dear Family,
My days! Dad has my permission to use my shot gun if
any boys come around looking for Catherine.
She's become far too pretty. You
need to get her involved in Hockey or something. I'm glad you had an enjoyable week. Sometimes uneventful weeks are the best
kind. I'm looking forward to those after
my mission. Every week here is an
eventful week.
This week was
really good. We had band practice on
Monday and then took a nice stroll through Hyde Park with a big group of
missionaries. It was really nice. It was probably the most relaxing thing I've
done for quite some time now. Everything
has just been full speed ahead here in Hatfield, it was nice to slow down and
just walk through a park with some friends.
The smaller version of the band is going really well. It's a lot easier to get things done, but
we're all friends, so it's also very easy to get way off topic. Our next performance is in February. We're adding quite a few new songs into our
repertoire. It's going to be a lot of
fun. It was sure a lot more convenient
when I lived in London. We have to take
a train in every week. It cuts back on
the amount of time we have to do other P-Day things. It's always fun to be back in London, though.
I took Elder Hart to Big Ben for the first time today.
Wednesday was
another noteworthy day. We had a big
leadership conference in Hyde Park for all of the District Leaders, Zone
Leaders, and Sister Trainer Leaders. It
was a lot of fun. What made it a great
day though, is that all of the companions of the district leaders in my Zone were
working with Elder Hart in Hatfield! It
was great. The worst part about meetings
is that I always worry about all of the work that I could be doing in my area
instead of being there. This meeting was
complete bliss. I got to just focus on
the trainings and came back to 8 lessons having been taught. It doesn't get better than that.
On Thursday we
realized that we hadn't received any new referrals yet during the week, so we
decided to change that. We were asking
everybody all day, but didn't anything out of it. In the evening we decided to stop by at the
new home of one of our investigators.
When we got there he wasn't in, but one of his roommates who we had
taught in the past was there. We asked
him if he had a minute that we could come in and talk, but he said he was busy
so we asked if he knew anybody else that would be interested in our
message. He said, "the only people
who come to mind are already really religious.
They probably wouldn't be interested." I told him that you never know if they might
be open to learning something new, to which he agreed and ended up giving us 4
referrals! We went off to contact them,
who all lived in the same home, and when we got there one of them answered the
door. He assured us that he wasn't
interested in our message and that nobody else living there would be
either. We gave him a card with our
number on it and asked him to give it to the room mate who wasn't home at the
time and he said he would. We then asked
him if he knew anybody else that might be interested. Originally he said he didn't, but I pushed a
little harder and ended up with two more referrals that we immediately went to
contact. They had a baby last week and
said they were busy, but would love to hear our message about family sometime
next week. We got their phone numbers
and we're seeing them later this week.
The next day, we got a text from an unknown number that said this,
"Hi, I am Niketa. I have got your
contact details from a card which was left at my door and I strongly believe
that Jesus must have come to my door to tell me that 'my child it's a time you
should fulfil your life's main aim for which you took human body'. Can you please help me?" We texted her back and we're seeing her
tomorrow evening. It was probably the
most fruitful referral trail I have ever followed. I'm very excited to see these people this
week and I'm so glad I didn't just take no for an answer. Everybody knows someone who might be
interested. You just have to get it out
of them.
Investigator
update:
There's some
sad news this week is about Daniel and Jude.
It came out this week that they're in their current church's band, and
the week they came to church with us really threw their whole service off
because they didn't have anyone playing the keyboard or drums. They said they aren't going to just drop all
of their commitments at their current church yet. We need to get them a more firm testimony of
the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. If
we can secure that, it'll give them a reason to give the other things up. They said they're still open for baptism if
they come to know it's true. They just
feel like they need more time. Hopefully
I'll still be around when they make the commitment.
Michael and
Emanuel came to church again this week.
Michael is very open to the church and he loves bringing his son to a
place where they teach him about the Bible.
He loves the Bible. He doesn't go
more than a couple of lines without quoting something from it. The good news is that he also loves the Book
of Mormon and believes that Joseph Smith was a prophet. He wants to get baptized, but unfortunately
is living with Emanuel's mother and they're not married. He's not technically even breaking any
commandments. They just live in the same
house for the sake of the child. It's a
tough situation. We're calling President
Jordan about it tonight. Hopefully he'll
have a better idea of how to move forward than I do.
Malachi is a
new investigator this last week. He's 8.
He comes to church with a family in the ward. His mother was investigating the church
several years ago, but decided it just wasn't for her. She doesn't believe in God, but she thinks
that if her son does, it might be a good thing for him. As long as it's something he wants to be a
part of, she'll let him. The problem is
that she doesn't want to be present when we teach him, and she definitely isn't
the support he needs to be successful in living the gospel. She said it's like Football. If her son wants to play football she'll take
him to the practices and games and such even if she hates football. The gospel requires a little bit more than
that. We need to assess whether she'll
help him come even when he doesn't necessarily want to or not. He wants to be baptized and I just don't want
to set him up for failure. It's a tough
situation. Obviously we can't withhold
baptism from someone over 8 years old because of their parent’s problems, but
it is a legitimate concern. We're also
going to talk with President about him.
That's all for
this week! Next week is the end of the
transfer, so P-Day will be on Tuesday.
Don't fret when my email doesn't come on Monday. Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Elder Hein
p.s. The
mission office is the best place to send things, especially with transfers
being right around the corner. I go
there every week for band practice. Did
you ever send those books?

No comments:
Post a Comment