Monday, March 10, 2014

3/10/2014

1. “I decided to try being an African Chef this week. It was awful. . . I'm giving a thumbs up; it should have been a thumbs down.”

Dear Family,

That lobster sure looks nice.  It's a bit out of my price range as a missionary, but I'm looking forward to eating some in about 14 months.  And steak.  People don't seem to really eat steak here.  I don't know why.  Maybe they just don't invite the missionaries around when they eat it.  On the topic of food, I decided to try being an African Chef this week.  I learned that no matter how many African ingredients I use, this white ginger kid will never be African.  It was awful.  I tried to make Fufu and some fish soup.  It didn't go well.  The fufu was a weird texture and smelled funny, and I got a little bit carried away with the African heat in the soup.  Elder Hart's face turned a nice red color while he tried to choke his down.  He did much better than me, though.  I don't think I even ate half of mine.  The fish was the only good part.  It actually turned out really nice when you took it away from the rest of the dish.  I'll attach some pictures of the meal.  I'm giving a thumbs up in one of the pictures; it should have been a thumbs down.

This week was perhaps the most bipolar week I have had on my mission.  I've never had such highs and lows in such a short period of time.  The good news is that our investigator John is on date for baptism.  He's come to church the last 3 weeks in a row and really wants to become a member.  It's amazing to see people transform.  When we first went to see him we thought he was biggest lost cause in the world.  Now he's one of my favorite people to go and see.  He's struggling a little bit with the word of wisdom, but he's making great strides.  I called him last night to check up on him and make sure he was still doing ok and I was on the phone for about 10 minutes as he thanked me and Elder Hart for all that we've done for him.  He said yesterday was the best day he can remember having in a very long time.  He loves church, he loves the Savior, and he really wants to change for the better.   I'll keep you updated on how he continues to progress.

The sad news this week is that Daryl dropped us.  He came to FHE on Monday, had a great time, and then called us on Tuesday and said he can't meet with us anymore.  He wouldn't give a reason why, he just said he couldn't.  Getting dropped by investigators is the worst thing ever.  Especially when it's out of the blue like this one was.  When you put so much time and effort into helping someone come closer to the Savior, make sure you're doing everything you can to help them feel the Spirit, get them fellowhipped by the ward, study for them, pray for them, and do everything you can for them, and then they decide to throw that all away it's very disappointing.  The one thing I can say though is that I don't have regrets.  I know I did everything in my power to help him.  In the end it comes down to the investigator.  They still have to make the choice whether or not to accept what we're teaching.  They have to come to know that our message is true on their own.  It's just sad to lose someone when you've learned to love them so much.

Another highlight of the week was talking on the phone with Lawrence Awosika!  We had a band performance last night and I used the London North phone to call Lawrence.  It was so good to hear his voice.  He received the Melchizedek priesthood yesterday.  I'm so incredibly proud of him and the man he as become.  You'll have to meet him someday.

All is going well in Hatfield.  This week is the last week of the transfer, so my email next week will be on Tuesday.  This transfer has gone so quickly for me.  Time is just flying past.  I'm excited to see what the next transfer has in store for me.  I'd love to stay in Hatfield a while longer.  We'll just have to wait and see if that's what the Lord wants too.  I hope you all have a wonderful week.  I love and miss you all.

Love,
Elder Hein

Pictures:
2. Elder Hart and John walking over the bridge to the church

3. Ian and Brenda Brindle.  They're the couple who referred John to us.  They are wonderful celestial individuals.  John used to work with Ian back in the day and they have stayed in contact ever since. The dog's name is Rio

4. Proof that I am a clean missionary.  Look how clean that kitchen is!


5. My attempt at an African meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment