3/ 3/ 2014
1. Me,
Elder Hart, and Kat the most recent convert
Dear Family,
Happy Birthday
Cadee! 5 years old. . . my days, you're getting too old. It looks like you had a fun time ice
skating. Ice Skating birthday parties
were always fun. Those poppers look like
they were super English. The lame jokes
inside are like the British equivalent of laffy-taffy. They're pretty great. Congratulations to Camilla on winning the
story telling competition! All of you
girls seem to be winning all sorts of things lately. Well done.
Keep up the good work.
This week has
been a pretty great week. We had Kat's
baptism on Tuesday. She's the sister of
one of the students in the ward from Vietnam named Annie. She came to study at the university with
Annie, and Annie started bringing her to church. Annie invited us over to teach Kat, but she
had invited the Sisters over to teach as well.
We ended up letting the Sisters take the lead, but we still taught her
about once a week. The sisters taught
her the main 3 lessons, and we taught most of the commandments. She was the most golden investigator
ever. After her fist lesson with the
Sisters she asked them "so, what exactly is my relationship with Jesus
Christ, and how to do I strengthen it?"
What a great question. That's the
attitude she kept through the whole teaching process. It was great to be able to be a big part of
her teaching process even though she wasn't technically our investigator. Her baptism was probably the best I've been
to on my mission so far. She'd been
going to FHE and Institute weekly since she arrived, so she had the support of
all of the young people in the stake.
The turnout was amazing. The
spirit was so strong. She bore her
testimony after the ordinance and it was one of the most powerful testimonies I
have ever heard. We love Kat. I'll attach some pictures of us from after
the baptism.
We had a
couple of cool little miracles this week.
We got a referral last week who we've been trying to contact ever since,
but nobody is ever home, and if they are they never answer the door. We tried on Tuesday and a nice Chinese lady
answered the door (not the referral we were looking for). She said the man we were looking for wasn't
in, but to try back in the evening. We
went back the following evening, and she answered the door again. He still wasn't in, but we decided to talk to
her. We told her who we were, and she
said she already knew who we were. She
had met with missionaries about 6 months ago.
She has a lot of religious friends and wants to know if God is
there. She said the missionaries didn't
really help her, so she stopped meeting with them. We started talking about prayer with her and
it seemed to spark an interest. She said
she had never prayed. We asked her if we
could come back another time and teach her more about prayer. She said that would be fine, so we set a time
for this week to go back and teach her.
On Sunday we were walking down the street and we ran into her with one
of her friends. She said "Hi
guys!" and then turning to her friend said "these are my friends Hein
and Hart." We had a nice little
conversation with them on the street and we invited her friend to come to our
meeting later this week. So many
miracles come from referrals. We are
constantly led to people just to be then led to others who might be even more
prepared to hear our message. The funny part of this story is that the Chinese
lady's name is Xin (pronounced Sin).
Apparently we've been knocking on Xin's door a lot lately. . . haha.
We had another
cool experience on Saturday. We went to
see an investigator in the morning, but he wasn't in. He lives quite close to Michael, so we went
to see him instead. We had a nice chat
with Michael and invited him to come to church, and then as we were leaving
Boon was walking right in front of Michael's house. We haven't been able to get in touch with
Boon ever since he dropped us over a month ago.
We started talking with him and invited him to church. He came!
and he's coming to FHE tonight as well.
I imagine it would have been pretty easy for us to just wait around for
our next appointment, but since we just rolled with the cancellation and kept
on working hard, we were blessed. So
much of missionary work is dependent on how much you're willing to do. The more you put in, the more you get
out. It's really quite simple.
In other news,
driving lessons this week took me past the home of one of the members of One
Direction, the location of The Battle of the Roses, the set of Pride and
Prejudice, and into London for the first time.
Driving in London is crazy; especially in a manual car. I'm going to toot my own horn a little bit
here and say that so far I haven't stalled once. I'm pretty proud of that.
That's it for
today, folks. I'm all out of time and
we're going to go have lunch with the senior couple in the ward. Elder Whitaker was a church history professor
at BYU for years and years. He knows
everything. It's amazing. I hope you all have a great week! In the words of Elder Nolan, "Hugs and
Handshakes"
Love,
Elder Hein
Pictures:
2. Me,
Elder Hart, Annie (by Elder Hart), Kat, and their friend My (in the middle)
3. Me,
Elder Hart, Sister Formica, Sister Pope, Annie, Kat, and My
2/24/2014
1. Me in
front of the Cathedral
Dear Family,
It's nice to
hear from you as always. Emails are
always one of the highlights of my week.
This week has been really good.
We seem to be rebuilding a bit.
We did a lot more finding this week than we have the last several
weeks. Finding is actually really fun
when you have the right attitude about it.
If you're going out to meet new people and find more people to teach it
has the potential to be a really good time.
If you're going out because you have nothing else to do and you have to
do something, it's rubbish. Thankfully,
we had a lot of fun with it this week.
We have a few really promising new investigators. Maybe I'll do an investigator update first.
Daryl is doing
. . . ok. He feels like he received the
answer that he doesn't need to be baptised, but he's willing to still be shown
otherwise. He's coming to the baptism of
one of the Sister's investigators on Tuesday and he said he'll prepare for that
and see how he feels at the baptism.
We're praying that he'll receive an answer there. He didn't come to church yesterday because he
said he's been missing his old church where there's fun music and clapping and
all sorts of fun stuff. He told me on
Saturday night and I told him to "have fun at happy clappy church. We'll just be sitting there missing you over
in reverent church." Elder Hart
thought it was a bit rude. I think
there's a difference between being rude and telling the truth. I just pray that he noticed the difference
between his old church and how he liked church with us. Anyway, Daryl is still awesome. I'll be sure to get a picture sometime soon
to send. I was going to take one at church.
. .
John is an
investigators of ours we've been working on for the last two months or so
now. He's a cute old man from Jamaica
that the missionaries have been working with on and off for the last 8 years or
so. So far nobody has been able to get
him to come to church. . . until Elder Hart and I got him to come yesterday! It was very exciting. We just assumed that because he's been
meeting with missionaries for so long, he'd been taught pretty much everything,
but we found out last week that he's never even been taught how to pray. We had a whole lesson on how to pray. It makes me wonder what the missionaries
before were doing.
Camilla came
to Family Home Evening last week, but she wouldn't set up a time to meet this
week, and she couldn't come to church either.
She's incredibly non-committal.
We're still working on her. Her
friends that we met with her, however, are doing great! We saw Arnold last week and he said he'll
come to church with us this week and bring the other friend John as well. We're seeing them both this week. Maybe the'll be able to drag Camilla along as
well.
We had a
really cool experience this week with one of our new investigators. On Wednesday evening we were walking back to
our flat and a man who was walking in front of us turned around and asked,
"what church are you from?" We
told him who we were and then he proceeded to complain about the Jehovah
Witnesses and how their Bible isn't even the same and he'd been arguing with
one of them earlier about it. He's from
Bulgaria and speaks in quite broken English, but we offered to get him a Bulgarian
Book of Mormon. We told him a little bit
about it, read some scriptures and then asked him if there was anyone he knew
that we could pray for (it's a sneaky way of asking for a referral we've been
encouraged to use by our Zone Leaders).
He said his family in Bulgaria (not really much of a referral for us,
but that's ok). He's here trying to get enough money to bring them over to have
a better life, but he's not having much success. We prayed for him and his family, for which
he was very thankful, and set up a time we could see him on Saturday. He said his work schedule is very random, but
he'd let us know if Saturday would work.
On Saturday morning we got a text that said, "I'm free 2day." We called him and set up that we'd meet him
near where we met at 4:00. We were there
a bit early and were doing a bit of finding (in a different part of the town
centre from where we met), and he found us about 10 minutes early. Not only him, but he'd brought a friend as
well! The sneaky referral asking didn't
work, but apparently it softened his hart and he wanted to introduce us to a
friend. He said, "this is Joanne.
She has a lot of questions."
We walked with them to an internet cafe that's owned by some ward
members (the same one I'm emailing in right now) and taught a really great
lesson. The spirit just took over
completely and we were able to answer Joanne's questions and help her feel
God's love for her. She's an amazing
person. She took Iliya (the Bulgarian
man) in because he had nowhere to live, and doesn't ask anything in
return. She was born in New Zealand, but
moved when she was three. She has just
recently got in touch with her family there and apparently they are all
Mormon. She really wants to come closer
to Christ. She feels like she has been
very close to Him in the past, but recently has been a bit more distant. She
said she was really grateful for the answers we were able to provide for her
questions of how to let Christ into her life more. She has been so prepared to accept the Gospel. The most miraculous part of the lesson was
when we were talking about church and we were trying to figure out how to get
her there. There's no bus that goes to
the church near where she lives, and she doesn't drive either. Just as we were talking about transportation
another member walked into the Cafe. It
just so happened to be the same member who was bringing John to church and he
volunteered to take Iliya and Joanne as well.
It was amazing. I told them
"well there's a miracle for you.
What were the chances of him coming here right now?" We set up another time to see them this week,
and said we'd see them at church.
Unfortunately, there's a less happy ending to this story. Sunday morning, she cancelled on coming to
church. We're still not completely sure
why. I don't feel discouraged about it
though. When we do all we can to invite
the spirit and make every arrangement possible for them to do what we've asked
them, the rest is up to them. I'm a bit disappointed
in her, but I know I did everything I could to help her.
Have I told
you about Sam? Sam is the boyfriend of a
less active member in the ward. We've
been teaching him every week for about a month now, and he's been coming to
institute and church, and on Wednesday we invited him to be baptised. He accepted!
He said he'd talk to his family this weekend. We're seeing him on Wednesday to see how the
talk with his family went and then we'll be able to make baptism arrangements
from there. He's a really good guy. I love teaching member referrals. The whole "built in fellowshipper"
thing is really nice.
Yesterday we
had a very hard day. Hard in a very
tasty way. After church we were invited
to teach a part member family and have lunch with them. They made so much food! I filled myself up to the very top, plus
some. It was like thanksgiving, but
Caribbean food. Ox Tail (cow tail) is
really nice, by the way. Cattle Feet
(cow hoofs) are less nice; they're very chewy.
I ate way too much there. We
shared a good message though and we're going back to teach the lessons to the
non-member mother. We're pretty excited
about that. The problem is that I forgot
about our dinner appointment scheduled for just two hours later. The dinner appointment was with some less
active members called the Gilbanks. Sister Gilbanks is from the
Philippines. She cooks very nice
food. And she cooks a lot of it. I don't think I have ever eaten so much food. I was barely able to choke down all of the
rice and Philippino stew stuff she made when she brought out desert; a large
cereal bowl filled with apple strudel and heaping with ice cream. I'm amazed I didn't lose it. The last bite was the hardest. It was like trying to force a camel through
the eye of a needle. But I did it.
About the
Divers License. The driving tests here
are ridiculous. There are all sorts of
stupid little things you have to do to pass the test, so I'm taking
lessons. Also, I want to get the manual
license because it allows you to do more.
Automatic vehicle and manual vehicle licenses are two separate
things. The manual covers everything
though. I also hear insurance is cheaper in the states if you have an English
license. Is this true? Could you look that up for me? Anyway, I've had one lesson already, and it
went really well. Driving manual cars isn't all that hard. I'll probably need about 8 lessons though to
be ready for the test. Each lesson is
25£. The mission covers three of them
and all of the test fees. I just have to
pay for the extra lessons. I should be
able to get the license before my one year of allowance on the US license
finishes. I'm having two lessons this
week. It's really nice to be behind the
wheel again. Driving everywhere is one
of the things I'm looking forward to most when I come home.
Last Monday we
did some sightseeing in St. Albans. We
saw the Cathedral, the old Roman town, and the oldest Pub in Britain. It was a pretty nice p-day. I love band practice, but every once in a
while it's nice to have a break. I took
a bunch of pictures, so I'll attach some for you.
That's about
it for this week! I hope you all have a
wonderful week. Keep being the great I
people I know you to be.
Love,
Elder Hein
Pictures:
2. St.
Albans Cathedral
3. Remains
of the old Roman wall with the Cathedral on the hill
4. The
oldest pub in Britain
5. The
sign on the oldest pub in Britain
6. The
keystone inside the Roman museum
7. The
catapult I bought at the Roman Museum
8. The
unsuspecting victim











No comments:
Post a Comment