10/14/13
Dear Family,
Happy late birthday Camilla! I realized that I hadn't
said anything last week after I had already sent the email. Sorry.
It looks like you had a fun day. Ice Skating with the twins looks like it
was a lot of fun, and I'm sure you've been enjoying your iPad. . . probably a
bit too much ;)
Mom asked about a band recording. My answer to that
is, I don't know. Sister Jordan has mentioned it a couple of times,
especially because the main female voice is going home this transfer, but
I don't know if it will happen. It probably will. I'll let you know
if it does. On that note, we had a performance today for the senior
couples in the mission and we have practice again in like an hour, so this
email is probably going to be a bit short.
I haven't bought a coat yet. I still need to do
that. I'm not too cold yet, though. I have a sweater that comes in
handy. This last week me and Elder Nolan both got a cold. It was
really annoying. At least we were suffering together, though. I
think it brought us closer together to be sick at the same time. He's
from Manchester, so he came very prepared for the cold. The cold is a lot
different here. It's not actually as cold, but it feels worse because of
the humidity. I'll be sure to buy a coat as soon as I get the
chance. Thanks again for the extra money to buy one!
Cameron might enjoy this. I ate some Romeo
and Juliet this week. It was really nice (that's what people say here
instead of saying it tasted good, or it was tasty. They just say it's
nice.). President Jordan had some at his flat that he shared with me and
my Zone Leaders. President served his mission in Rio, so he likes to get
little brazillian treats every once in a while.
I think I've been in this area too long. There
are 4 different places I can go to get free food whenever I want it.
I've made friends with some of the local restaurant or cafe owners
and they feed me. It's great. I do really love this area. I'm
going to be sad when I leave. I have a feeling this will be my last
transfer here, though, so I better make the best of it while I can.
Me and Elder Nolan are doing really well together. We
got a lot done this last week. Charmaine and Johnny are still on date
for baptism. We're very excited about that. We have a few other
investigators who are progressing as well. Hopefully this transfer keeps
going in the direction it's headed. We've got a lot of potential.
Being a district leader is really not that much different from just being a
normal missionary. I have it really easy, though. All of the other
missionaries in my district are great. All I do is report their work to
the zone leaders.
I have one quick story to tell this week. I
told you about Margarita, right? The Greek lady who poked her head out
the window and asked to be taught? She's super awesome. She loves
what we've been teaching her. The only problem is that she keeps giving
away her book of Mormon! The first one we gave her is now in the hands of
one of her roommates who reads it every morning and loves it, and the other was
given to a lady in a medical waiting room who got sucked in while she was
waiting for her appointment. I can't really complain. Her roommate
is probably the most solid referral I have ever received. She's doing
more missionary work than most members do. She accepted a conditional
invitation to be baptized in our last lesson. She'll probably
take some time, but she is very open to the spirit and will do whatever
she feels that her heart is telling her to do. That's all I can ask
for. Now it's time to just trust in the spirit to answer her
prayers. She said, "well, I've already been baptized in
Greek Orthodox church, but you say I would need to be baptized again?
I don't know. I need to read first. I'm open to what my
heart tells me. If I feel I need to be baptized then we will all be
very happy together!" She's so great. The amazing thing
is that that's really all she needs to do: just read and pray about
it. And as long as she's open to the promptings, the spirit will take
care of the rest. It's funny, I think sometimes missionaries look at
themselves as the teachers; The Scriptures and Preach My Gospel are
the textbooks and we're here to teach from them. I think we're more part
of the text book, really. We're just the information. The spirit is
the teacher. We present the information and the spirit takes it to our
investigator's hearts. It's really amazing to watch someone while they're
being taught. The whole experience is completely different when they are
open to the spirit and when they aren't. If they're not open to the
spirit, they don't progress. If they are, they do. Simple as that.
Well, I'm all out of time. I took some pictures of
Central London from a bridge in my area called Suicide Bridge.
Hornsey Lane is the road that goes over it, if you look it up on Google
Earth. It's got a really nice view. It's even better at
night. I hope you all have a nice week! Go eat some Taco Bell on my
behalf.
Love,
Elder Hein
Central London from a bridge in Elder Hein’s
area called Suicide Bridge
Hornsey Lane is the road that goes over Suicide
Bridge
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment